Sunday, July 1, 2007

Grim Team- Once Upon A Time In America The Prequel


Straight outta Paris into the bowels of the New York streets comes the illest crew in a minute. Their name; Grim Team....their business; graffiti, beats, a clothing line and now albums.....and the dandy thing bout all of it is that they perform to the fullest in each area...If you've never seen any of their graff tags on the sides of buildings or in various train stations in the rotten apple or Paris, than you ain't seen great graff my friend, and if you've yet to hear any of Chaze's beats you might be missing out on the birth of a new Alchemist or DJ Muggs. Consisting of Armen, E.Blaze, Reign and Viva La Am to name a few, the Team has been puttin shit down correct on the low for awhile now. My first encounter with their movement was when I started seeing a couple of their T-shirts around the way.....shits had the classic mean mug, screw face guy on the front, with the grim team logo on top....I thought to myself, "that shit is ill, wonder what it's all about". I figured it to be a new clothing line and kept it moving...it wasn't until I heard a new joint from one of my favorite Terror Squad members about two years ago that I decided to investigate. So I heard a new Prospect joint called "BXNY", on some mixtape. The shit was tuff, and while I would like to say Prospect did his thing, the main thing that caught me was the beat....I looked long and hard and discovered the cat that produced it was from overseas and went by the name Chaze. I ran into his music again a short time later when I was bumpin a new Raze mixtape, and I heard another joint that's production jumped out at me...I once again found out that this guy Chaze was to blame. I found out that Chaze was connected to the Grim Team Movement that I had previously witnessed on them T shirts. Along with a huge section of New York I started following a lot of the Grim Team's movements, checkin out their graff, lookin at their clothes, listening to Chaze's remarkably resonant and gutter beats. Once Upon A Time In America The compilation prequel to Grim Team's debut Compilation album is a true gem in terms of NY hip-hop and European hip-hop. I haven't heard a better producer than Chaze from europe since Dams from the Get Large duo in Paris and The Creators outta the U.K.. Tracks like Twin Gambino's "Hood's Diary" create a perfect mold for this album, meshing perfectly with other joints that bang louder than two obese lovers in the middle of a summer night in a small apartment with no air conditioning and thin walls. Make sure you check out Willie The Kid's "Quiet As Kept", Raze's "Nervous" and "who Want It" by Ty Nitty.
-Dominick L.

1. Intro -
2. Milano - 'Somewhere Different' -
3. Boss Money - 'Incognito' -
4. Saigon - 'She Knocks Me Out' -
5. Smiley The Ghetto Child - 'Busted' -
6. Ty Nitty (of Infamous Mobb) - 'Who Want It?' -
7. Raze - 'Livin' It' -
8. Infamous Mobb feat. Chinky - 'Get That Paper' -
9. The Underboss Skit -
10. Willie The Kid - 'Quiet As Kept' -
11. Prospect (of Terror Squad) - 'BXNY' -
12. A.Dog (of ACD) - 'A 100' -
13. Smiley The Ghetto Child - 'Insane Terrain' -
14. Twin Gambino (of Infamous Mobb) - 'Hood's Diary' -
15. Tres Coronas - 'Verso Por Verso' -
16. Kamakazee (of Screwball) - 'I Hold Mine' -
17. Raze - 'Nervous' -
18. G.O.D. Pt. III (of Infamous Mobb) - 'Crossroads' -
19. Milano - 'M.I.L.A.N.O' -
20. Outro

http://www.megaupload.com/nl/?d=2VT9O202

Labels