Saturday, November 8, 2008

Evidence - The Layover Mixtape Hosted by DJ Skee




Before I head about 30 minutes outta my city to go watch the Roy Jones Vs. Joe Calzaghe fight (I got Jones in a decision) at my boy's crib, I wanted to drop off a mixtape that I myself have been highly anticipating. As all of the regular reader's of Purehip-hop should know, Evidence will be dropping his new EP "The Layover" this month on the 25th (pushed back from the orig. date of the 18th). Before he does give us all that extended play goodness he's linked up with L.A.'s newest street/mixtape DJ extraordinaire; DJ Skee, to bring everyone "The Layover Mixtape". As always Ev brings the heat. I'm guessing there were a few surviving elements left off the EP, and so he decided to throw em' on the tape. I ain't mad at that at all. Skee adds his usual touches, but doesn't get in the way of the music, something that I appreciate a lot from him and his work, and a reason why he's surging ahead of other notable L.A. guys like DJ Strong, Felli Fel and DJ Vlad. As a matter of fact his knack for enhancement and not incessant shouting, name dropping and overdone masturbation-like tactic's has DJ Skee hot on the trails of L.A.'s elite tape DJ's like DJ Warrior and DJ Solo.

Ev makes this a no-brainer pick-up for underground heads. Unleashing a handful of brilliant remixes and playing host to many of the underground's top emcee's, like Phonte of Little Brother, Casual, UNI, Defari and Aloe Blacc, the headliner's of the alternative rap world that are featured add to this effort immensely and get it that ever so coveted underground stamp of approval. Make no mistake however, this tape also contains the rugged west coast lyric's of Crooked I, Bishop Lamont, Mitchy Slick, Chace Infinite and Fresno phenom Fashawn. It's a great balance and like all things with great balance usually they have a wide appeal. I think that's what directly applies here. Can't wait for the 25th, but this helps.

-BIG D O


P.S. To the 2 AM Houdini's who played the Thirsty Parrot in the Springs last night....y'all rocked, really tho, you guys are an excellent cover band. Keep it up.






http://www.zshare.net/download/50960307494dd684/

No comments:

Labels