Saturday, May 10, 2008

DJ Premier- Grand Theft Auto IV THE CLASSICS 104.1



Okay, so admitedly I don't really get into video games anymore. Once upon a time they were one of my favorite hobbies, but these days if it isn't NBA Live or Madden on PS2 I could care less...I don't know what happened, I remember liking the first God Of War, Prince Of Persia and Medal Of Honor for Xbox, but I think I only ended up playing those shits out of pure boredom, and seeing as how the Xbox was my brother's, and so were the games, I probably was just running whatever new shit he would cop. Then we got kicked out of the apartment, lol, thus beginning my dry streak of not owning any game system other than a crusty old Super Nintendo (which still got some burn) and growing up a bit. One game that will always be imbedded in Hip-Hop Culture is Grand Theft Auto. Making it's bebut in 1997, by the time the 3rd installment of the game series came around it was already famous for it's violent undertones and it's all-star voice work roster, it was an instant hit. I remember DJ Clue releasing some mixtapes that had the game's theme included in them called the Grand Theft Audio series. Those muthafuckers were huge, everyone was bumpin em'. The game quickly became apart of many rapper's survival kits, and was mentioned religiously in verses. Another really popular aspect of the game was the radio stations that the player could flip through while driving his boosted whip. There was a good variety to choose from on the dail, just like there should be in any big city. Most of the time there was a Rock station, a Pop station, a Top 40 Hit station, an Urban staion, etc., etc.. Well, the good people over at Rockstar games have done pretty well for themselves and have released their newest game in the series, GTA IV: Liberty City. A few of my boys who own it and spend most of their days on 23 hour lockdown in their weed clouded rooms have given it their stamp of approval. Another thing that they're raving about is the music. I looked it up online and yes, there is a pretty heavy dose of hip-hop music included in this edition, and why not? Liberty City is obviously based on New York City and we all know New York City is the birthplace of and synonomous with Hip-Hop and Hip-Hop culture. So I bring you the songs you'll hear on 104.1, the station dedicated to the golden age of hip-hop, held down by none other than DJ Premier himself. So while you boost Benz's and do all other types of foul, wild shit, living out your twisted criminal fantasies, enjoy the raw boom bap flavor of some of the illest hip-hop joints ever in the background. Tracks like "Who Gonna Take The Weight" by Gangstarr, "Supa Star" by Group Home and "Droppin' Science" by MC Shan and Marley Marl help form a pretty cohesive "Golden Age" mix, that I'm glad will be exsposed to some of the youngin's, who got no business playin this game, but I know will be. My reasoning for that is because those same shorties who is up there playing this also will have no clue as to who half of the people on the 104.1 station are. I don't know if I agree with the theme's of the game, or it's dipiction of us minorities, but I do like the fact that they included some pretty worthy music on one of their stations this time around, an that it will help bridge the gap between the guys doin hip-hop in the 80's and 90's, and the kids who think that they know wassup in the 2K.

-BIG D O

01. Group Home - Supa Star
02. Brand Nubian - All for one
03. Special Ed - I Got It Made
04. Jeru the Damaja - D. Original
05. Marley Marl feat. Craig G - Droppin' Science
06. MC Lyte - Cha Cha Cha
07. Audio 2 - Top Billin'
08. Stetsasonic - Go Stetsa
09. T. La Rock & Jazzy Jay - It's Yours
10. Gang Starr - Who's Gonna Take the Weight
11. Main Source - Live at the Barbeque

http://www.zshare.net/download/1180784564a330df/

No comments:

Labels