Saturday, June 7, 2008

Bishop Lamont - The Confessional



Bishop Lamont is back with another mixtape, and while I wasn't too keen on "Pope Mobile", "Nigger Noise" or the other few tapes he's dropped in the past year or so, "The Confessional" is a lot more direct and focused of an effort than most of his previous stuff. See Bishop has always been the very fortunate recipient of great production. I really liked what he was able to do with Black Milk on that "Caltroit" project, but from that time on I basically had to admit he wasn't much of an emcee most of the time, but more like a guy who just had really good connections. After all Lamont is the new protege of a Mr. Andre Young, and with that comes a lot of recognition among other things. I'm sure people are trying to throw him beats constantly. Either way, Bishop's continual problem, in my estimation, was always that he was sort of a complacent, lazy MC, who was very all over the place in his content. Very spastic and constantly re-hashing ideas and lines that other people have already touched on time and again. On "The Confesional" he does manage to deliver his rhymes at a much better pace most of the time, almost as if he's been coached up a bit. That's niether here nor there though. I'm sure the production on this will be more than enough reason for most to grab this. I've only bumped it once, but I've detected compositions from Denaun Porter, Dre and Black Milk (I think). This Tape has a nice hip-hop feel to it in certain stretches man...I enjoyed a lot of the joints on it for no other reason than the fact that they sounded like updated N.W.A. type ish'. My favorites are the Busta rhymes assisted "Kissing The Curb", "Be Cool" feat. Ras Kass and Xzibit and "Send A Nigga Home". The skits/interludes on this are dope, borrowing from many of my favorite movie scenes. This is most likely gonna be a cool lil' jolt for the west coast heads, but Bishop still is failing to make the grade lyrically, so don't expect much more than an interesting compilation of beats, with only a few witty lines coming here and there from "The Confessional".

-BIG D O

1. Prayer Shout Out (Intro) 1:34
2. Donkey Kong Savage 3:36
3. Send A Nigga Home 5:56
4. Devils Ain't Got No Love (Skit) 0:32
5. Money 4:41
6. Kissing The Curb (Feat. Busta Rhymes) 4:10
7. Get Off My Dick 2:10
8. City Lights 6:31
9. Community Lost (Skit) 1:02
10. Feelin' Like Chaka 4:08
11. Guerilla Pimpin' (Feat. Warren G, Busta Rhymes, Stat Quo) 5:08
12. Why 3:52
13. It Hurts 3:36
14. Be Cool (Feat. Xzibit, Ras Kass) 8:20
15. Better Than You 4:52
16. 2 Much Godfather 4:42
17. Oh My God!!! 5:11

http://rapidshare.com/files/120726907/Bishop_Lamont-The_Confessional-Bootleg-2008-CR.rar

No comments:

Labels