Thursday, July 24, 2008

Chaundon - The Prefix Vol.1 Hosted by Joe scudda



Adding this Justice League member's new mixtape to this week's list of new and very worthy drops brings me great joy. See, Chaundon is one of the few hip-hop artist's whom I've had the opportunity to speak to personally and I've been closely following his work since before then. It wasn't in person; the phone call was actually made when I called into a college radio show in NYC and was able to speak to him at length about his then new album "Carnage". He was a jovial cat; took minor criticism well I thought and he wasn't a clown at all, in any way. He was sharp. I wished him well and from that day on I've tried my hardest to like his material but unfortunately I think at the end of the day he really won't be able to make any huge waves as far as the rap game is concerned...at least not the way he'd like to I think. His style isn't that clearly defined to me....one minute he'll sound like NY's new savior, the next he'll revert to a more denounced and bitter southern, underground type artist, then he'll try making a song for the ladies....lol, he just has a tendency to run awry of what I think his real personality and musical goals are. He has tremendous potential though and everyone knows his lyrics tend to mesh great with production from his J League cohorts 9th Wonder and Khrysis. Sometimes the only reason I picked up a new J League tape was to hear a new joint from Chaundon produced by 9th. He definitely has a great ear for beats. Always seems to nab 9th's better work that hasn't been heard yet, lol, he must be somewhat diplomatic as well. For all his talents and saavy however I'm afraid The Prefix Vol.1 is a good example of how many artists are just coming a day late and a dollar short these days. What I mean is that it's a great mixtape; filled with awesome production, Hosted by Joe Scudda, (another promising young cat outta J League) contains well written verses and has a bevy of relatable content for only an 11 track mixtape. It's very good stuff indeed, which is why I'm baffled as to why his album wasn't more like this..... I mean why couldn't he create this same kind of magic on his previous tapes/work? To those questions I have no answer except that each artist is different and a lot of artists have many peaks and valley's in their career's. What I can and will say is that this is a step in the right direction musically for Chaundon. It's a strong effort and I wish it was longer, but still a very strong outing. Will he continue on this path? I don't know. Like I said in the beginning I am afriad that he might be destined for a rap life lived in obscurity due to his streakyiness, but Like I said when I spoke to homie about a year ago on the phone; good luck, and I'll be checkin for your stuff. One hunded.


-BIG D O



01. Chaundon feat. Skyzoo & Torae - 3 Kings (produced by Analogic)
02. Chaundon feat. L.E.G.A.C.Y. - Same Team (produced by Khrysis)
03. Chaundon - No excuses (produced by Khrysis)
04. Chaundon - Streetrunner (produced by Shuko & The Gunna)
05. Chaundon feat. Sean Price & Skyzoo - Submisson (produced by 9th Wonder)
06. Chaundon - Brutus (produced by Khrysis)
07. Chaundon - Mr. Info (produced by Khrysis)
08. Chaundon - Push up (produced by 9th Wonder)
09. Chaundon feat. Big Pooh - No money down (produced by D-1)
10. Chaundon - Budha (produced by E.Jones)
11. Chaundon - They love me (produced by 9th Wonder)

http://rapidshare.com/files/130352735/chaundon-the_prefix_vol_1-hosted_by_joe_scudda_.mp3

No comments:

Labels