Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Jake One - The Great Beat Writer Mixtape




Prepping heads for his new compilation album "White Van Music", producer Jake One drops a free mixtape on us filled with his older notable productions, exclusive tracks off "White Van Music", unreleased material and a joint he produced for John Cena?? LOl, Pro wrestling assists aside, "The Great Beat Writer" is a pretty stand up run down of Jake's best stuff to date. I'm sure most of these joints will become more obscure however, given that Jake's new LP is dropping soon. Yes, I've already heard it and yes, it's that damn good.

If your like me and your not that familiar with Jake One's production cred's, one thing about this tape is that it will reveal that Jake is the architect behind a few of your favorite bangers, guaranteed. "Down In New York City"; perhaps my favorite joint off Evidence's "Weatherman LP" (an album filled to the brim with excellent production) is just one banger that I had presumed that Evidence had produced himself. Wasn't til' I took a gander at the production credits for this tape that I realized otherwise.

Now I admit that I didn't know a whole lot about Jake before this tape, but one thing I did know was that he had done more than a few things for G-Unit artist's and 50 inparticuliar. I knew that full well walking into this, and so too should you. Young Buck's "The Clean Up Man" is a bright spot that I somewhat enjoyed, but other G-Unit appearances on here, well.....lets just say god made a track skip button for reason. Other than "those" moments, I had a great time bumpin "The Great Beat Writer". I really like Jake's drums, and they consistently held my intrest track after track while I listened. Really liked the remix for MF Doom's "Hoe Cakes" too, Jake did that much justice. There's a lot of really superior artists that are on here. From names and groups like Arcee, Boom Bap Project, I Self, De La Soul, Freeway and yes, the woefully bad G-Unit, any head (and I mean any) is sure to find what their looking for on here, but more importantly they're sure to find a reason to go cop Jake's new LP "White Van Music", tracks to check for are all the exclusves from it; "Trap Door", "The Truth" and "Gangsta Boy".

-BIG D O

http://rapidshare.com/files/150093443/VA-HipHopDX_Presents_Jake_One-Great_Beat_Writer-2008.zip.html

No comments:

Labels