Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kev Turner - Straight Raw



Ever since I uploaded that remarkable DJ Davito mixtape "The Intervention" I've gotten a few emails/queries about one of the artist's on it who really shined. Being that The Intervention is on my shortlist for one of the best mixtapes of 2008 I think it's only right that I did some research on this guy. What I found was gold. First off let me go ahead and name the emcee in question. He goes by Kev Turner, I'm not sure if that's his government or his stage name. By the very limited amount of info on him out there (a myspace page is about it) the only concrete facts I gathered was that money was from West Philly and has also spent a good amount of time somewhere in south Jersey....and that he can spit. Although his background info might be scarce, Turner provides more than enough details about his world via his new mixtape "Straight Raw". A mean flow with a blistering delivery Turner graces a few of your favorite beats of all time throughout "Straight Raw" demonstrating his knowledge of the east coast's glory days. While he isn't a lyrical giant, Turner quickly and confidently makes up for whatever he lacks in vocabulary with feeling and cold sincerity. The freestyles are quaint, but they do the job and provide good bridges into his original works. This tape is well constructed, I can tell Turner put some time into the track list by how each song and skit roll into one another. It isn't until the backend of the tape that you really start to appreciate Turner's writing. Track's like "I'm a Star" and "Hit Em' Kev" couple Turner's rugged flow with solid production and prove that he's a new emcee worth following. Hopefully we'll hear more from Kev Turner in the future, til' then you can grab his new 16 track mixtape "Straight Raw" on his myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/kevturner, or here.

-BIG D O




01 Intro (prod by J-Slant)
02 Bossin (prod by Sebmaestria)
03 Hard Rhymes Hard Hittin (prod by J-Slant)
04 From da Six-o
05 Hard at Work (prod by J-Slant)
06 Heavy Traffic
07 Mighty K
08 Truly Unstoppable (prod by J-Slant)
09 Spit Dat Crack
10 I'm a Star (prod By J-Slant)
11 The Big Payback
12 Get Down (prod by The Producer Z)
13 Git Deal Wit
14 Turn My Music Up (prod by J-Slant)
15 Hit Em Kev (prod by The Soundprophets)
16 Speed Of Light (prod by J-Slant)

http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vdXBsb2FkZWQudG8vP2lkPTMybnBocQ==

No comments:

Labels