Saturday, December 27, 2008

F.T. (Fuc That) - The Brooklyn Beast



For many of us the late 90's were a great time to be exploring the hardcore, underground NYC Hip-Hop scene. There were tons of releases that never got their just due and that heads never heard about. I've always been a fiend for any emcee that had an edge and was superbly skilled in the street rhyme department. That was what I looked for quite a bit in that time period; hardcore artist's that pulled few punches. I think I was like 17 or 18 one day when I was browsing my fav. record store casually on a regular afternoon when a particular CD/Album caught my eye....on the front there was a big "no smoking" symbol over a backpack and the title read "The Anti-Backpack movement". I picked it up and looked on the back... I quickly realized it was a compilation album. It was presented by Tru Criminal Records; a label that I had copped a few 12" singles from in the past. It featured a host of my favorite hardcore producer's and emcees; from tragedy Khadafi and Ali Vegas to Alchemist and Domingo.....seemed like a pretty safe buy, so I copped it at full price (15.99). Noticed right away that it also contained a new name I wasn't too familiar with....that name was "F.T.". I initially dismissed the nuance and proceeded to pick it up for all the familiar names thinking that even if this "F.T." cat couldn't rhyme he certainly couldn't be capable of fucking up the whole record. LOL, I would forever be surprised at the irony of my thinking from that day on, for it would be this "F.T." character who I didn't know, that actually would boast the most memorable song and performances off this album.

Yes, it was F.T.'s (whose name I would come to learn stands simply for "Fuc That") "John F. Hennessy", a joint that I would play over and again that would seal the deal for me being a subtle fan of his for over half a decade. He really owes Alchemist a pat on the back for lettin him hold that beat. The Junior Mafia assisted "Money All the Time" and Tru Criminal posse cut "Prime Time" were included as well, but it was F.T.'s solo spot that allowed him to shine so brightly and fully. That release was back in 02', and a good bit of time has definitely passed by since, and while the Tru Criminal imprint and his former group Street Smarts might be gone now, F.T. has continued to forge onward and make the same brutally honest and edgy street hop that he always has.

2009 is basically here, and while most of you kiddies missed out on Fuc That's early days back in the late 90's and early 2K, he's been kind enough to put out a new project that will catch you up on his past and debut a few new things from the Brooklyn emcee's present. Packed to the gills with the producer's real head's respect (Buckwild, Just Blaze, Alchemist) and timeless NYC Lyricist's (O.C., Nature, Fat Joe, Pharoahe Monche, M.O.P., Sean Price and Buckshot) this is a nice rundown of F.T.'s illest moments. If anything, please listen to "The World Is A Ghetto", that song is, just, well......perfect.

-BIG D O





01 - Spazz On Em [Prod.Just Blaze]
02 - No Love
03 - The World Is A Ghetto
04 - John F Hennessey [Prod.Alchemist]
05 - F B High
06 - The Curse
07 - Stand Up
08 - Ghettomania
09 - Ridiculous
10 - I’m Not Playin’ Witcha
11 - Brolic
12 - Money All The Time Feat. Junior Mafia
13 - Don’t Trust Anyone [Prod.Buckwild]
14 - Problemz [Prod.Buckwild]
15 - Hightimes Feat. Tha Eastsidaz
16 - Metal Thangz Feat. O.C. and Pharoahe Monch
17 - Metal Thangz 2 Feat. Nature and Fat Joe
18 - Bounce Feat. Sean Price
19 - No Holds Barred Feat. M.O.P.
20 - Heavy Weighters Feat. Buckshot & Swan
21 - Sex, Drugs, Alcohol & Lies Feat. Cocaine
22 - Frontline Feat. El The Sensei, Organized Konfusion, Mike Zoot
23 - Throw Dem Cups Up Feat. Obie Trice
24 - Chip Remix

http://www.zshare.net/download/531347795d29d52e/

No comments:

Labels