Thursday, March 1, 2012

Interview: Too Short Says There Was Industry-Wide Plot To Shut Down Conscious Hip Hop

























I never been much for conspiracies, but when I heard this, I had to take a look and see what Short Dog was talkin about..

He makes some eyebrow raising allegations (some which I wholeheartedly know are valid from just being around the industry a bit) in this interview with HipHopDX, and some folks have already labelled this as deflection from his recent, how shall I put it, mis-steps that have come under fire..

You'll have to decide for yaself.

Too Short: And, I’m not gonna blame this on anybody, but I was actually being pushed into a direction where I would talk to people at Jive [Records], I would go talk to the President, Barry Weiss, and he was like – I always wanted to do these [side] projects like the E-40 duet album, which was one they never would let me do. Jive would never let me and E-40 do an album together. They kept making excuses and so it never got done. I also wanted to do an album that was filled with songs like “The Ghetto,” “Life Is…Too Short,” “Money In The Ghetto,” “I Want To Be Free.” I wanted to do a whole album of positive Too Short songs, just to keep that balance. I had made a verbal deal with Barry Weiss, where he was like, “Right now would be the perfect time, you should do like the raunchiest Too Short album ever – the album cover, the songs, just do a dirty fuckin’ Too Short album.” This is the executive running the company advising me to put out an entire album of just cursing and sex. 

Read the whole interview here

No comments:

Labels