Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Gnarls Barkley- The Odd Couple



You Know I've never been too wild about alternative hip-hop stuff....I was resistant to groups like Black Sheep and Digable Planets, I rarely bumped the Pharcyde and I dispise this new "Emo" rap movement bullshit. It's just not hip-hop to me. I guess I'm just an old school east coast rap "elitist" I sappose, but I know what sounds good and what sounds corny. I just feel that often times when artists try to take certain elements from hip-hop and apply it in other genres it comes off very chessy and like a lame attempt at being "with it" or hip....now I ain't sayin that hip-hop can't be meshed well with other genres, oh no, definitely ain't sayin that, I got all 4 volumes of Guru's Jazzamatazz in the whip as we speak baby, lol. I think Jazz, Funk, Rock and Soul music are hip-hop man, straight up and down, especially when it comes to production and just raw sounds. So here I am a staunch naysayer of alternative hip-pop, bubble gum bullshit and then along comes Cee-lo and Dangermouse. Two very soulful and talented cats that make the grooviest music out there man. They shook up the whole music scene with their first release and are out to do the very same with their second collaboration. Providing a plethora of rich, funky rythyms for Cee-lo to harmonize over, it's Dangermose that really steals the show this time as he dishes up what I regard as one of the best produced albums of any genre in quite some time. Its a journey into true soul and funk, as well as some definite quirkiness, living up to it's title. it's a great listen tho and it really showcases what great musical chemistry can yield; a great album that's not like anything else out there right now.

-BIG D O

1. (00:03:13) Gnarls Barkley - Blind Mary

2. (00:03:16) Gnarls Barkley - She Knows

3. (00:02:55) Gnarls Barkley - No Time Soon

4. (00:02:44) Gnarls Barkley - Whatever

5. (00:02:24) Gnarls Barkley - Who's Gonna Save My Soul

6. (00:03:22) Gnarls Barkley - Run

7. (00:02:21) Gnarls Barkley - Would Be Killer

8. (00:03:41) Gnarls Barkley - Open Book

9. (00:02:56) Gnarls Barkley - Going On

10. (00:02:47) Gnarls Barkley - Charity Case

11. (00:03:26) Gnarls Barkley - Surprise

12. (00:03:06) Gnarls Barkley - A Little Better

13. (00:03:07) Gnarls Barkley - Neighbours

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z11tqf

No comments:

Labels