Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Video: Mitchy Slick Feat. The Wrongkind - He'll Shoot



Look, I know I post up quite a good deal of music from the east coast and various other spots around the country, but don't get it twisted, I know where my roots are and because of that I've always been a huge fan of Hip-Hop from Cali. My mother spent a good deal of her life in L.A. (Watts), my sister lived in the Bay Area (San Fran) for years and if you can name any place in or between Pasadena and Chino, chances are I have family there. I got quite a few relatives back east in New Jersey too, but well, what can I say....I've visited both spots and man, lemme tell you, there ain't nuthin' like L.A. and southern California period. Sorry, Atlantic City's boardwalk, beaches and great food just weren't enough to overcome all them females, palm trees and sunshine....

To jump back on subject before I get too carried away with my California dreamin' though, I wanna speak on this new Mitchy Slick joint featuring a host of fresh and worthy west coast up and comers. "He'll Shoot" has a sound to it that is evocative of Cali's glory days during the mid and late 90's. From the distinctly west coast beat technique's provided by Cricket, to the simple, yet affecting imagery and subject matter, this is southern Cali to a tee. Hats off to the San Diego native Mitchy Slick for contributing a killer hook and probably the best verse next to that Ise-B cat. The focus here isn't so much lyricism or braggadocio as it is story telling and raw environment description, things that all artist's, west or east need to get back to doing.

-BIG D O

No comments:

Labels