Friday, April 18, 2008

Marco Polo- Canned Goods




I first picked this up in like 05' or 06', waaay before I knew what was to come from Marco Polo in the future. I was pleasantly surprised after bumping it. It struck me as a very dope instrumental album, but it didn't strike me so much because of the fact that the music was ill, but rather because the guy creating these beats was a Canadian born, geeky-lookin, chain smoking, white guy. LOL, all pre-concieved notions aside, I never really thought hip-hop was that big in Canada besides places like Montreal or Toronto. Either way, I was very taken with all of the tracks. Many of them had ill soul and funk inspired samples and well exectuted, thick, drum patterns. It was boom bap at it's finest and I immediately started lookin for other stuff he produced. I would later find a lot of his work and continue to be equally impressed. "Orange Moon Over Brooklyn", was another album I ran into that really put Marco's talents on full display. A full length LP produced entirely by Marco (except 1 song) for Brooklyn Academy Member Pumpkinhead. Once again Polo was found crafting his Pete Rock and DJ Premieresque beats. He's a wonderful new talent and has moved on to release arguably the best Hip-Hop album in 2007; "Port Authority". He's been real busy these days producing for other top notch underground talent in his new home of Brooklyn, supplying dope beats for everyone from Masta Ace to Boot Camp Clik. I've actually spoken to duke a few times as well over Myspace and he's a real down to earth, humble guy. Sapposedly there's a "Port Authority 2" in the works, and while I can't wait for the kid's new stuff, I still enjoy his ealrier releases. Be sure to check out the 3 joints on this that aren't just instrumentals and feature Bog Skoob of Das Efx, Rasco of Cali Agents and Wordsworth.

-BIG D O

1. Truffle Shuffle
2. Kwyjibo
3. Hired Goons
4. Stakes Is Higher
5. Coffee Break
6. Official
7. La Guardia To Pearson
8. Think Of U Now
9. Diamonds
10. Newport (Interlude)
11. Beat Society
12. The Greatest
13. No U Won't
14. Situations feat. Rasco
15. My Rights feat. Wordsworth
16. How I Get Down feat. Skoob (of Das Efx)

http://rapidshare.com/files/107976529/Marco_Polo_-_Canned_Goods_2005_V0.rar

No comments:

Labels