Sunday, March 1, 2009

Interest Piece: GQ Names It's 20 Favorite Record Stores



I never really was a big time GQ reader....I liked to occasionally thumb through it when I was younger (it actually used to only exist in magazine print form kids) to see what suit designers were poppin' at the moment. Yes, I actually used to take an interest in Armani and Kenneth Cole's latest shit, sue me. Other than the casual browse every so often though, like everyone else my age, I always used the term "GQ" to pay a compliment.....for example, if one of my boys was dressed up before he went on an interview or somethin', you might say "yeah kid, you lookin mad GQ". LOL, don't know if the youngin's still say that or not, I doubt it though. My interview yesterday went pretty well too BTW, but I digress....GQ's writing hasn't at all meant too much to me over the years so you have to understand how surprised I was when I was doing my regularly scheduled daily raking of the net, looking for something cool to read about when I found an ill piece that they had done on their website, highlighting their favorite diggin' spots. By now all of my readers should know that record stores i.e. "diggin spots", particularly ones that carry a lot of vinyl basically serve as 2nd homes to me and delving deep into the culture of Record collecting has been a major hobby of mine for years now. Knowing all of that, it should come as no surprise that I am going to put up a post featuring that dope article/slide show of GQ's fav. 20 Record Stores across America.

The feature Comes complete with pictures and a short, well-written overview of each store. Regrettably my favorite spot that I was sure was gonna make it, "Wax Trax", in downtown Denver failed to show up on the list. To add further contempt to my posturing as being a serious vinyl hound, I have to also admit I've never visited any of the spots they did put up.....I guess I only belong to my local digger's union and haven't acquired that oh so respected "journeyman" status.....Until I do start going state to state straight raiding unknown and more renowned stores, shout out to all of the ones I regularly visit that I would definitely lobby to have included on that list......Earth Pig, Wax Trax, The Leechpit and of course The Independent Annex in teh Springs and the Independent in D Town on Colfax Ave (All pictured below except Earth Pig)

-BIG D O


The Leechpit




Independent Records (on Colfax)



Wax Trax







See the GQ article/slideshow here:

http://men.style.com/gq/features/slideshow/v/021609RECORD

No comments:

Labels