Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Delinquent Habits - Promo



As I've pointed out many times on here through my writing and ranting, growing up as a Latino Hip-Hop fan in the era I did was pretty ill and at the same time pretty uncredited.....I mean I was mad fortunate to have cats like the Beatnuts, Son Doobie, Fat Joe/Terror Squad, Chino XL, Cypress Hill, Tony Touch, Dom Pachino, Noreaga, Angie Martinez, Kurious Jorge, Doo Wop, Milano, Hurricane G and the greatest ever, Big Pun himself, to have as inspirations and be a fan of. They were all reppin' the Latino perspective man...they were talented and yet, for some reason, many of them were largely ignored at their artistic heights. Only Cypress and Pun really garnered that huge superstar status and they really had to pay some serious dues for it. Even still, they all made me proud to be who I was when bein' Latino where I was at only meant that you had it tough and there weren't many options for you that involved displaying your intelligence or creative ability. They proved that we have collectively been apart of something very special since day one and our role was appreciated by everyone, black, brown, white, whatever.....We had a story to tell too and people were finally beginning to listen....

Yes, Latino rappers from the 90's were a far better set of artist's to look up to than today's representatives, that's for sure. People like Pitbull, Cool And Dre, Chingo Bling, Don Dinero, Daddy Yankee, Lumidee and Baby Bash have done a pretty good job of almost destroying everything that the legitimately talented Latinos that came before them made possible and more importantly made respectable. Things have changed a bit for the new generation of Hispanic Hip-Hop fans, who as I see it are horridly mis-lead and have no true Hip-Hop hero's to look up to the way I did, therefore they accept these 2nd rate cheese balls as sound substitutes. There still is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel however that comes in the form of some pretty decent alternatives....I can only hold out hope that today's youth will shun the mortifyingly tacky and cretinous acts, (that for some reason are all over MTV, BET and the radio...big surprise there) for skillful contemporaries like Emilio Rojas, Joell Ortiz, Immortal Technique, Emilio Lopez, OuterSpace, Thirstin Howl, Nino Bless, Atom Immortal, Garcia, Sick Jacken, Termanology and DJ Blazita. It also wouldn't hurt for all of the tender young 2Ker's to peep out the work of some of my yesteryear luminaries that continue to drop heavy science on their new projects.......

In the spirit of doing all the kiddies the favor of discovery, I bring ya'll another excellent Latin group from the 1990's and their newest effort you should give a listen or two. Delinquent Habits wasn't my favorite group, Latino or otherwise back then, mainly because I felt like they were somewhat of a poor man's Cypress Hill. I would later find that belief was really ironic, because their self-titled debut for which I based my judgement on, was executively produced by Sen Dog (who also was featured on the album), the livest Latino hype man ever and one of the illest performers ever, period. I would later come to my senses down the line concerning D.H.'s material.......Kemo The Blaxican, Ives and O.G. Style's musical sensibilities quickly became some of my favorite shit to bump after I started absorbing it.....I think I was messin' wit their stuff the most when they linked up with my absolute favorite emcee and their Loud Records label mate Big Pun as well as with JuJu from the Beatnuts (one of the best Latin producer/emcee's) on "Western Ways Pt.2" for their sophomore release "Here Comes The Horns.....yeah, those were the fuckin days! D.H. defined how to drop a "spanglish" verse and made it cool to incorporate throughout songs and albums. They had a lane and they rode in it very well. Their production, ripe with revamped Herb Alpert samples, boom bap inspired drums and Mariachi horns had this innate east L.A. meets Brooklyn feel to it. They were the illest Ese's to grab a mic in a minute. More lyrically inclined than Kid Frost and more in tune with the underground tactics, make no mistake, they were far from some bootleg ass, Chicano rap dabblers, they had skills.

It kinda sucked when Kemo departed the group to do his solo thing....the result left a deep hole in the Delinquent sound if you ask me....In any case Ives, O.G. Style and former backup/chorus vocalist Michele have pushed onward and this is their latest release that features new, unreleased gems that I guess have been laying around in O.G. Style's vault. All I can say about this is that the music is varied...some of it I bumped all day, other joints I really didn't show much love....your gonna have to explore for yaself, but the two joints with Psycho Realm front man Sick Jacken make this more than worth the download effort alone.....also really liked "In L.A." a lot.....enjoy "Promo", I suspect that this might be the first step toward another new album for D.H., which will be their latest since 06'.

-BIG D O







01 What’s it all about [Feat. Sick Jacken]
02 Socal [Feat. Sick Jacken]
03 My life
04 In LA
05 Go easy
06 Despreciado
07 Cuervo
08 As long as we’re together

http://rapidshare.com/files/198170497/Delinquent_Habits_promo_2009_HHB.rar

No comments:

Labels