Sunday, January 24, 2010

DJ J-Live - Do The Knowledge Vol.1 (The Late Pass)



Pretty inactive weekend ova here at PHH...there were a few things I posted up, but yeah, for the most part I basically have just been keeping busy writing a new review and placing my bets for this weekend's AFC/NFC championship's....

In the spirit of throwing all you non-sports watching Hip-Hop fiends a lil' somethin' somethin' here is J-Live's latest mix, which is fittingly subtitled "(The Late Pass)". Fittingly because this dropped about a week back and I am indeed in need of a late pass for not having it on my radar...that's downright un-acceptable for someone that considers themselves a big time J-Live fan.

The triple threat producer, DJ and MC put this mix of 2009's best tracks together and had this to say about the streams of know-nothings that routinely complain about current Rap and Hip-Hop having nothing to offer:

Basically, I got tired of hearing a lot of people say stuff like, "there's nothing new out" or "hip hop is wack now". Upon hearing this I usually run down a list of names of new artists and even old artists with new albums and ask if they've heard of em'. Nope! These people have no idea. There's a lot of good new hip hop. You just have to do the knowledge and keep your ears open. These are some of my favorites from 2009 alone. Enjoy!

-J-Live


While I personally would've loved to hear a new mix of jazzy tracks that had been dormant Live's vaults, I must say his DJ ear hasn't fallen off much and this is a dope compilation of 09's better underground Hip-Hop moments.

The link to Live's free Bandcamp download page is below, but b4 I jet out of this post I just wanted to acknowledge that J-Live is of Haitian descent and that I'm sure these times are very tough on him and those close to him...

Keep your head up Mr. Cadet...

-BIG D O


DJ J​-​Live "Do The Knowledge Mixtape" Vol. 1 (THE LATE PASS)

No comments:

Labels