Wednesday, January 13, 2010

R.I.P. Teddy Pendergrass



I promise I'll get back to news and posts that aren't so full of gloom and doom in a moment, but before I do I must, absolutely must, pay respects to one of the the greatest Soul and R&B singers and songwriters of all time, the incomparable Teddy Pendergrass....

The Philly born and bred Grammy award winning artist who actually began his career as a drummer for The Cadillacs and later Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes was a dynamic musical force who released 20 albums in his lifetime. The passion and seduction he delivered his ballads with powered him to superstar status in the 70's and early 80's and forged his place amongst the best vocalist's of all time.

Not even a nearly fatal car accident in 1982 could stop Teddy from pursuing his music and touching millions with endearing hits like "the Gift Of Life", "I Can't Win For Losing", "Close The Door", I Can't Live Without Your Love", "Joy", "Turn Off The Lights", "Love TKO" and "Voodoo" among so many others...

He fought back courageously from that accident that left his spinal cord badly damaged and yet again became a symbol of hope, performing live from his wheelchair in 1985 and pushing on in music til' his retirement two years ago in 2007.

There is nothing I can write, nothing I can say that could properly encompass this man's illustrious career....he was and is simply a legend.

"Teddybear" passed away away today at Bryn Mawr Hospital in suburban Philadelphia....he was only 59 years old...he leaves behind a full and rich musical history that will no doubt continue to be known for decades to come.

-BIG D O

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sad...R.I.P. to a great legend.

Labels