Sunday, January 31, 2010

Interview: Domingo For Birthplace Magazine



Very recently N.A.B. of Birth Place Magazine got up with Domingo; one of my longtime inspirations and more notably one of NYC's Latino production luminaries for a quick Q&A...

Mingo gets into what he looks for in a collaborating artist, his formula for success, selling beats on Myspace and his unfortunate plans to not put out anymore Domingo solo [compilation] albums...

-BIG D O



N.A.B.: How long have you been producing? And what actually inspired you to produce?

Domingo: I’ve been producing now for like 20 years… In 2010 it will be 21 years. My Inspiration is my uncle. He introduced me to the whole DJ thing, when I was like 8, 9 years old. He let me hear my first hip-hop record. I used to watch him play his drums, DJ and do all kinds of amazing things with music. I was mesmorized with music. From there I adapted a love and understanding for music. I took it from there.

N.A.B.: You have worked with and created many hits with some of hip hop’s most influential MCs, including Big Pun, Big Daddy Kane, Eminem, Kool G. Rap, KRS One, Fat Joe and Joell Ortiz, to name a few. That alone must raise the level of expectancy from you as a producer. How do you manage to continue to breed hits?

Domingo: That’s kind of hard to say. I try to stay with what I know and what I do. There was a point in my career, where I was steered by bad advice. It took my close circle of family and friends to remind me that I have my own style. And that all those folk telling me I should make records to sound like this and that, aren’t helping me. Now, I would like to say, I stay true to music. I could adapt to any style of music. I could make a down south record if I choose. But I choose not to. I could do anything, and I mean anything.


Read the rest here

No comments:

Labels