Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Interview: Moka Only For We'veGotTheJazz.com



Last week Futura of We'veGotTheJazz.com sat down with the hardest working Canadian MC/Producer in the game, the always moving and shaking Moka Only...

If you haven't heard the quirky, wonked out goodness that is Moka's rhymes or the versatile head nodding trances that comprise his beats, please do get on that but beforehand read this interview, it's incredibly comprehensive...

Moka touches on quite a good deal..from what music he grew up listening to, his feelings on the current state of Canadian Hip-Hop, his alter ego Ron Contour and even takes a moment to make a plea to anyone that might own a working ADAT LX-20 machine so he can retrieve some lost albums he recorded back in the early aughties.

-BIG D O




Futura: For those who don’t know, can you tell us a little about yourself and what you bring to Hip Hop?

Moka Only: I am Moka Only, some know me simply as Torch. Depends on how in depth the person is with my music. I’m just a beatmaker/producers/emcee/doctor. I came up in the Vancouver, Victoria BC area. I’d like to think that I bring a sense of adventure and maybe mystery to music.

F: What artists, Hip Hop or not, did you grow up listening to and who would you say influenced your style and music?

MO: Somehow I was always interested in piano singer/songwriter types like Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles or Elton John, Billy Joel, etc. Then I started getting into jazz at a young age. Once I had become immersed in Hip-Hop, I would gravitate toward the more left-leaning artists like Jungle Brothers, De La Soul, (A) Tribe (Called Quest), etc…cats that used jazz or progressive textures in they music and abstract raps.



Read the rest here

No comments:

Labels