Friday, November 13, 2009

Interview: MF Grimm Remembers Roc Raida




Continuing to remember our fallen bretheren Grandmaster Roc Raida, Noz of Cocaineblunts.com drops off the 2nd interview that was originally done for that NPR article on Raida from awhile back (http://purehip-hop.blogspot.com/2009/11/national-public-radio-music-profile-roc.html).

Today, Percy "MF Grimm" Carey, the Manhattan NYC based underground force, who has had more battles and up hill climbs in his life than what Jay Cutler had interceptions last night, sits down for a candid interview remembering his good friend and actually former groupmate Roc Raida....Great Interview....

-BIG D O









How did you first meet Raida?
Grimm: We met when we were teens. I met him through Lord Sear, I grew up with Lord Sear and I wanted a DJ. I said I needed the best DJ in the world. Lord Sear was like, well then you need to meet Roc Raida. And that’s how we got together. I had to actually battle to be Raida’s MC. It wasn’t a walk in the park. But were friends ever since. We were teens and we knew we were the best at what we did, you couldn’t tell us nothing. He was a brother to me, more so than music. Music was just the medium.

What’d you think of him as a DJ?
He was X-Men at the time with Steve D and Dr. Butcher and Sean C and Rob Swift. At the time it was incredible. It was incredible just to be in his house and to be around him and his family when we were younger and just to watch him do the things that the whole world [would] see him doing. Everyone who knew Raida always knew he was the greatest at what he wanted to be.

How would you describe his personality?
Raida is one of the funniest beings that I’ve had the blessing to be around. He’d always make you laugh no matter what. He was just very humble when you were around him. Me and Raida were just jokers. We would just laugh and crack jokes. His presence made you always have fun. Anybody would tell you that.

Do any memories stand out in particular?
Wow it’s too many. One I can think of, we had a show. It was actually our first show outside of New York together. We did Jack The Rapper in Atlanta and on that card it was the Dogg Pound, it was Tupac, Run DMC I believe and Whodini. And there was a little break in between for me and Raida to come up and rock. And Fatman Scoop was with us. Nobody knew who we were, we just got up there and I rhymed and let them see what Raida would do. And I’ll never forget how crazy it got once they saw Raida get loose on them turntables. It was just like a different world. I’ll never forget that introduction of Roc Radia in Atlanta.

That must have been mind blowing to see a DJ do that back then if you had no context of the X-Men or the battle circuit.
Yeah you’re talking about ‘92 or ‘93 and it was just ridiculous.

I was a little surprised to see that photo you had up on your blog, I had never known you guys had an official group together, The Grave Diggers. How did that come to be?
Yeah. I’m the emcee that he felt was equivalent. But, I don’t know if you know but I’ve been shot and I’m paralyzed. So once I was paralyzed, of course Raida had to continue to do what he was doing. He was around family Lord Finesse, Diggin In The Crates and many others so he went on to do great things with. And that’s all the same bloodline, same family, so it was all good. I watched him do great things.

If you don’t mind me asking, how did Raida respond after you got shot?
He’s part of the reason I got through this. He was there for me. He went on to win the DMCs, he didn’t stop, he kept striving. I always felt that anything Raida did, he did for the both of us. And in return anything I do is for him. We ain’t never finished being a group, we still a group and we ain’t never gonna stop. I take so much pride in him and everything he’s done. And everything he’s still doing. He’s influenced a generation of emcees and DJs that’s gonna come up and know of him and do the things he’s shown them. I mean you could go on youtube and Raida’s there trying to teach people the things he’s doing. How can you not feel blessed to be around someone like that?

How did you feel when you heard the news of Raida’s passing?It’s the same response as right now. He’s Grandmaster Roc Raida. His energy cannot be destroyed. He’s still here. That’s the only way I can explain it. The actual conversation when that occurred is personal so I can’t elaborate. But my reaction is that he’s still here. Even when I saw him [at the funeral] he looked like he was resting. That’s a physical body, it’s a vehicle. Some of us really feel and do understand that it goes beyond that. And for those that never had the oppertunity to see him live, I suggest they get on youtube and look up Grandmaster Roc Raida and learn what it’s like to be near the purest form of hip hop




http://www.cocaineblunts.com/blunts/?p=4887#more-4887

No comments:

Labels