Thursday, April 29, 2010

Interview: DJ Premier For Vibe Magazine



Yesterday DJ Premier sat down with Keith Murphy of Vibe Magazine to set the record straight on the still swirling conjecture surrounding his passed on former Gangstarr groupmate, Keith "Guru" Elam...

At times the interview really conveyed Preme's deep sense of loss and at other times his suspicion was clear...He covers everything from the reckless rumors about Guru's sexuality, to his associate Solar and even what's next for Gangstarr foundation...

-BIG D O



VIBE: Do you feel like your relationship with Guru has been misrepresented by Solar?

DJ Premier: Well, I’ve always held down Guru… His spirit knows this. He used to get upset about so much stuff when we were dealing with the label all the time. We both would be upset. But I would take the calls because when he was upset he would flip [Laughs], where you might not be able to handle him when he’s wilding out. With me, although I had a temper, I was much calmer about it. But I always remember whenever I would tell him, “Yo Guru, don’t worry about it, they are going to take care of it,” he would be happy as fuck. He would be like, “Yo, let’s go out for a drink.” He was the go-out king. That was his routine. He was definitely a celebratory guy. Anyone from our era knows that Guru was in every club and every bar and every spot. He could go all night, all day. And he would never be tired!

Vibe: When was the last time you spoke to Guru?

DJ Premier: It was March 30, 2004. April 1 was the last email I received from him and I just found it in my computer. We were pretty much going at it about him straightening his life up with the drinking and everything… just getting himself together. Because talent wise, drinking or sober, he was always on point in the lab. He could lay down his vocals with no problem and he always wrote his rhymes dope. When he wrote his rhymes on page they were so messy [Laughs]. I used to ask him, “How can you even recite the verses and flow?” He would be in the booth turning the paper upside down while he’s still rhyming and without having to punch in.


Read full interview here

No comments:

Labels