Thursday, October 22, 2009

Video Interview: J-Zone "Real G's Rock Tapes"

Real G's Rock Tapes from richdirection on Vimeo.


If you know me than you know how much I adore my cassette tape collection and if your lucky enough maybe you've feasted your eyes upon my extensive racks in all of their propped up and polished glory...

I can't say why exactly I have so many tapes or why I continue to add to the collection, but one of the big reasons was/is that back when I was buying a lot of music I had to be selective and frugal at the same time. See, back in the day the prices of new albums descended with the medium you copped. The most expensive medium of course being Vinyl, then CD and finally Cassette tape, so you could always find some dope deals on tapes. Back then I would get into the thrill of the hunt big time...

So, for a lot of joints that I really wanted and had to have I copped on CD no doubt, but when I was dead broke I would still grab somethin', it would just be on cassette and that's how my ravenous habit began. I think specifically it was like 1997 and I was in this music warehouse store looking around...I went over to where they kept the tapes and seen the Fugees "The Score" (which was still hugely popular at the time) for sale for like $6.99...I grabbed it up quick and made the purchase, knowing that I got a steal, because the CD was still going for like $12-$14bucks in stores like Sam Goody and Tower Records.

It made real sense for me to be grabbing tapes too, back in the day I had a Taurus (the vehicle, not the pistol) and it came equipped with only a tape player so I was always scavenging for new tapes to bump...LOL, tapes usually don't sound too wonderful coming out of your Walkman headphones, but yo, I promise everything sounded correct coming out of that Taurus stereo system.

but enough of my reminiscing...

Here's a new vid from my fellow tape head J-Zone that sparked all of my harkening back to my genesis with tapes. The rapper/producer has long been a huge advocate of the Lo-fi culture and takes a minute to show off his extensive collection of hard to find albums and self made mixes, much to the delight of all the weirdos like me who've always wanted to peep out his stash....

Among the nugs; A mint-looking copy of Willie D's "Goin Out Like A Solider" and Freddie Foxxx's debut "Freddie Foxxx Is Here". Two tapes you just ain't gonna bump into anymore.

-BIG D O

No comments:

Labels