Monday, December 21, 2009

Video: The Belly Of The Beat

The Belly of the Beat from Gasface on Vimeo.



And the PHH award for best mini documentaries and films in 2009 goes to Gasface/NYM!

Seriously, I discovered these cats' videos on Vimeo this year (as did the rest of the blogosphere) and I've yet to be disappointed by anything they've put out. Very rare for a cynical, critique happy motherfucker like myself, Scuse' my French.

Their latest ill vid takes them to NYC's boro of Manhattan and the East Village neighborhood within it known as Alphabet City AKA "Loisaida" if you habla. The reason the Gasface crew ventured into the formerly lawless area that is now for the most part safe and widely gentrificated (I don't think that's a word, but you understand) is what else? Records! The famed A1 Record Store takes center stage in this week's vid and as a rabid record collector/break scavenger myself it was a joy to see this joint and hear some of the cool stories the employee's had to tell..

Being that I just returned from a diggin' trip myself I was really into this...Sit back and take in this jewel of a find.

On a side note, is it just me or is every record spot that's called "A1 Records" usually a haven for dope vinyl?

-BIG D O

No comments:

Labels