Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Video Interview: Mayer Hawthorne For UGHH.com





If you ever wondered what happened to the DJ for the super huge, Michigan based Athletic Mic League collective, well, where ya been the past year or so and do ya by chance mess with Stones Throw Records?

Yup, that's right, earlier this year the former Hip-Hop DJ and producer Mayer Hawthorne dropped his debut solo album "A Strange Arrangement", that was composed of nuthin' but sweet soul music...

I admit at first I was mad skeptical just lookin' at him, but after the first single dropped I knew this cat was gonna do his thing. Call me prejudiced, call me silly, but at the time I just didn't think that he'd be able to harmonize that well, and I def. didn't expect the music to be so well composed. Basically, there's a reason why no one has really been too successful re-creating that golden Motown sound..Despite his doubters, Hawthorne did the damn thing anyway and I'm proud to say that "Love Is Alright" was/is my fuckin' jam...real talk, I be playin that ish' in my car man.

Van Styles of UGHH.com conducts the interview as only he can here asking some really relevant questions...Personally my already high respect for Hawthorne went up even more when he told Van that he played all the instruments and wrote all the songs for "A Strange Arrangement". Dude is a unique talent, and if ya don't already own it, I suggest goin out and grabbin' that album...

-BIG D O

No comments:

Labels