Wednesday, September 30, 2009

News: Rumors Swirl About Nas Taking Def Jam Presidency




Recently, Nasty Nas did an interview with punchbowlblog.com and spoke on some of the rampant rumors that surround him.

Denying that he'd ever been asked to contribute to Raekwon's new album "Only Built For Cuban Linx II" as well as Jay's "Blueprint III" record, the somewhat standoffish interview progressed into the territory of Presidency jobs. Def Jam Presidency's that is....

Commenting on whether or not he'd been offered the job to take over as the big wig at Def Jam records, he simply stated "Yes and no.”.

Expanding on what exactly he meant Nas said this:

“I don’t know what’s in store in the future. I’m happy to do whatever makes sense. I would love to add on and help Hip Hop. I feel like Def Jam is a great label for Hip Hop music, but I feel like it could be doing a lot more for Hip Hop. Obviously people there have their own agendas and have their own direction, and I respect that too. At this point and time, I’m just taking it day by day. I’m not getting too caught up in that.”


Hmmmmm....A Lil' bit of misdirection Nasir? I think so...In my humble opinion it sounds like he is willing to step on board, but only if L.A. Reid is dually willing to give him some breathing room in the signing and creative processes. I mean yeah, Nas is known for committing a few blunders career-wise, but he's also a cat that always tried to put out music that was real to him and had a message...."You Owe Me" and "Oochie Wally" not included....I think he could really change the face of Def Jam from being a rest heaven to southern Trap rappers and tired R&B songstresses to what it once was; a solid home for the best and most diverse MC's in America.

I'm thrilled by this prospect, and I also am thinking that Raekwon's recent success with a real album of authentic Hip-Hop has something to do with Def Jam exploring the idea of bringing on a president that has a prominent history making serious, conscious and hardcore music. Maybe it's gonna happen, maybe not...I'll be sure to keep ya'll posted either way.

While we're on the topic too, just wanted to say again, R.I.P. to Shakir Stewart, the Vice President of Def Jam who committed suicide last year in November.

-BIG D O

No comments:

Labels