Monday, July 20, 2009

Cookin Soul & Nah Right - 1:00 AM And Rising



Brand new mixtape from Spaniard production trio Cookin Soul, Fluid Watches and super blog NahRight.com titled "1:00 AM And Rising"....

Built around Cookin' Soul's super charged, melodic and soul infused production, this free project contains 12 tracks and according to the Cookin' Soul Myspace page those 12 tracks are to correspond with each hour on a clock....

The cover art kinda threw me off, I was expecting some sort of tribute to one of the greatest Hip-Hop groups ever in De La Soul (from which the artwork is borrowed) but no such thing was in order....

Instead I got a decent mix of music from the ever burgeoning beatmakers who not so long ago were just starting out doing remixes...

Some of the music on "1:00 AM And Rising" I have to say I wasn't feeling much....I mean, the joints with Joell Ortiz, Ali Vegas, Skyzoo, St. Laz, Mickey Factz and AC were def. up to par and highly bumpable....Those will be going in the MP3 player ASAP, but I'm not so sure about the rest...

The soulful Spaniard's couldn't manage to make this tape truly memorable and stumbled in a few spots. Most notably on the gimmicky 40 Cal cut "Haters" and the Crooked I joint "Money Talks". The Cookin' Soul boys musta missed Jigga's Autotune PSA judging by how they shamelessly used it to mess up what otherwise woulda been an aaight lyrical outing from Crooked...Damn...And then there was the spanish rappin' on Emilio Roja's "Love vs. Hate"...Hmmmmm, I think the official ruling on that is unless your the Beatnuts, Cypress Hill, Terror Squad (R.I.P.) or Dom Pachino steer clear of the Spanglish bars....Just a thought.

There are high points, low points and points where I just wasn't interested that much...Overall a strong 7 outta 10, or should I say 8 hours out of 12?

-BIG D O









01. Mickey Factz – Flyin Ballons
02. St. Laz – Straight from Brooklyn
03. Emilio Rojas & Tote King – Love vs Hate
04. Joell Ortiz – Food for Thought
05. Crooked I feat. One-2 & K-Young – Money Talks
06. Skyzoo feat. Sha Stimuli & Donny Goines – On fire
07. Remo Da Rapstar – Cruisin
08. 40 Cal – Haters (E-n-v-y I-c-y)
09. Grafh feat. King Charlton – My life (If I die tonight)
10. Ac – If I was you
11. Ali Vegas – Cold outside
12. Streets is gettin hot remix featuring Tek, Stat Quo,
Ali Vegas, Mic Geronimo, Rapper Pooh, Doo Wop, Icadon, Chirie Vegas & 40 Cal

http://www.zshare.net/download/62661924c808c97b/

No comments:

Labels